(Continuation of Q8/6)
Progress on multimedia technologies has led to the active development of many
kinds of broadband services such as data and video communication over access
networks. In order to provide these services in a timely way, optical fibre
access networks must be constructed immediately, economically and effectively
for fibre to the x (where “x” indicates the final location on the user side) (FTTx).
The passive optical network (PON) system is used in many countries for FTTx.
Therefore, suitable PON configurations must be considered, taking into account
network installation, maintenance, operation and administration for each stage
(initial stage, growth stage, maturity stage and final stage). Moreover, it is
important to consider suitable optical access network planning for urban areas
with concentrated optical fibre demand, as well as for rural areas, which
disperse the optical fibre demand across a wide area. The above items will be
studied in this Question.
The evolution towards WDM PON technology must also be taken into account in
the planning of PON infrastructure, in order to allow non-disruptive transition.
In addition, the optical access network may be constructed using aerial
infrastructure, which must take into account harsh environments (wind pressure
and so on) and long-term reliability. In this Question, aerial infrastructure
design will also be considered.
Study items to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- What are the suitable passive optical network (PON) configurations for
initial stage, growth stage, maturity stage and final stage?
- What are the suitable optical access network for urban areas and rural
areas taking into account the optical fibre demand and the expanse of area?
- What are the key considerations for indoor and outdoor network design
taking into account planning and growth?
- What are the key considerations for aerial infrastructure design taking
into account harsh environments (wind pressure and so on) and long-term
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Passive optical networks (PON) configuration for FTTx (2011)
- Optical access network design of urban area and rural area (2011)
- Aerial infrastructure design for optical access network (2012)
- Revision of existing Recommendations
NOTE: An up-to-date status of work under this Question is contained in the
SG15 Work Programme at http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/workprog
- ITU-T L.15, L.42, L.52, L.65
Standardization bodies, forums and consortia: