(Merger of Qs 13/13 and 14/13)
As NGN and Future Networks scope covers wide areas of network, it needs to make
simple and clear business deployment models for definition of NGN and Future
Networks. Then, a set of promising service scenarios and deployment models of
NGN and Future Networks are very useful to accelerate the NGN and Future
Networks deployment. All the scenarios should be initiated from the user point
of views, which would be described as use cases.
Service scenarios could be designed to enable operators to support key
networking environments and build differentiated advantages through business
At the same time, operators of existing telecommunication networks have
expressed concerns connected with the necessity of full replacement of their
network equipment when migrating from traditional telecommunication networks to
NGN and Future Networks. The requirement to protect their investments in the
existing network infrastructure causes operators to seek possible solutions for
gradual transition from their existing telecommunication networks to NGN and
Future Networks with step-by-step replacement of equipment.
For Future Networks, more and more new technologies will be introduced, e.g.
Cloud Computing, IoT, etc. The architecture and deployment of Future Networks
will be probably largely different from the existing telecommunication networks.
Foregoing requirements will be still available when existing telecommunication
networks or NGN migrate to Future Networks.
Study items to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- From user point of view, application specific NGN and Future Networks service
scenarios including application services and end-user functions. It is pointed
out that new application services in NGN and Future Networks stemming from
convergence service environments should also be studied.
- Technology-based NGN and Future Networks service scenarios by considering
computer technology, security technology, electronic appliance technology,
broadcast technology including interactive wireless/mobile technology, and
telecommunication technology including enterprise and various access
- step-by-step migration scenarios to NGN and Future Networks
- Approaches in these scenarios will contribute to energy savings directly or
indirectly in Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) or in other
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Develop documents on NGN and Future Networks service scenarios including
emerging services and converged services.
- Develop documents on NGN and Future Networks based IPTV service scenarios that
converge traditional broadcasting services and telecommunication services over
the NGN and Future Networks environment.
- Develop documents on service scenarios of use cases and 3rd party services for
- Develop documents on migration scenarios to NGN and Future Networks.
- Develop documents on decision factors for selecting migration scenarios and
migration criteria through analysis of the scenarios.
- Continue documents currently under way.
Documents produced under this Question will normally be published as Supplements
or will progress through, or in coordination with, other related Questions.
Close cooperation with other ITU-T study groups (for services and applications)
and other organizations must take place.
Questions: Q.3/13, Q.4/13, Q.5/13
Study groups: ITU-T Study Groups 9, 16, 17, ITU-D Study Groups 1 and 2
Standardization bodies, fora and consortia:
- ISO for computer and electronics appliance