(Merger of Questions 2/12 and 13/12)
A major challenge for emerging IP-based networks is to provide adequate Quality of Experience (QoE) and Quality of Service (QoS) for new multimedia services and applications. As an example, IPTV is a rapidly emerging new multimedia service. A key factor in achieving commercial success for IPTV and also Home Networking Services will be to ensure that end-users will be satisfied with the performance. These services are inherently multi-media, incorporating audio, video, text, graphics, and interactive control functions, and performance requirements and associated measurement methodologies for each of these aspects need to be defined.
The following major Recommendations, in force at the time of approval of this Question, fall under its responsibility:
G.1010, G.1030, G.1040, G.1050, G.1070, G.1080, G.1081, G.1082, Y.1562, P.1010
Study items to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- Identify end-user performance expectations and associated metrics for audio, video, text, graphics quality and control functionality
- Define the key performance parameters and values required to satisfy end-user expectations.
- Determine how these requirements can be related to the underlying network transport level.
- Identify simple analysis techniques for estimating end to end performance for multimedia applications
- Identify QoS/QoE monitoring methodologies for multimedia services
- Identify sets of KPIs and QoS metrics for different services and investigate the relationship with QoE
- Investigate techniques and methods to perform complex data processing and to make consistent and significant decisions for quality management and assurance
- Multimedia performance considerations for IP gateways
- Considerations on how to help measure and mitigate climate change.
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Development of new Recommendations providing guidance on end-user performance expectations for multimedia applications, particularly IPTV and Home Network
- Development of new Recommendations on simplified planning models for estimating end to end multimedia performance
- Development of new Recommendations providing guidance on performance monitoring methods for multimedia applications, particularly IPTV and Home Network
- Development of new Recommendations on framework of quality management and assurance
- Development of new Recommendations providing guidance on QoE evaluation/measurement
- Revisions of Recommendations G.1010, G.1030, G.1040, G.1050, G.1070, G.1080, G.1081, G.1082, Y.1562 and P.1010 as necessary
An up-to-date status of work under this Question is contained in the SG 12 Work
Recommendations: G.1000-series, Y.1000-series, P.310, P.311, P.340, P.342, P.501, P.502
Questions: 3/12, 6/12, 8/12, 9/12, 10/12, 11/12, 14/12, 15/12, 17/12, 20/12
Study Groups: ITU-T SG 9, SG 11, SG 13, SG 15, SG 16
Standardization bodies: IETF, ETSI STQ, ETSI TISPAN, 3GPP, TIA TR-41, T1A1