(Continuation of Question 6/11)
Protocols for migration to packet-based networks are evolving. Development of
protocols in parallel by various international standardization bodies has led to
the emergence of different protocols such as BICC, H.323, and SIP.
Many developing countries have expressed an urgent need for assistance in
understanding how the various ITU-T Recommendations can be used. A handbook is
needed to assist ITU-T members in the deployment of packet-based networks to
support PSTN/ISDN services. This handbook requires inputs from and close
collaboration between ITU-T- and ITU-D sectors. This Question shall coordinate
the activities within SG11 and across the ITU-T sector.
Cooperation with external bodies outside of the ITU, in particular the SDOs,
is required to gather any relevant information from these organizations and
avoid duplication of effort.
Recommendations in force for which the Question is responsible: none.
Study items to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- What coordination and preparation is needed by the ITU-T sector to prepare
a single handbook by the ITU-T and ITU-D sectors, containing different aspects
related to technical matters
- What advice is required to assure adequate security in the deployment of
- What functional architecture and entities are required to support services
and/or applications of public interest such as emergency call handling, lawful
interception, number portability, etc.?
- What advice is required to provide energy savings directly or indirectly in
information and communication technologies or in other industries?
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Identify network interconnection scenarios.
- Coordinate ITU-T sector inputs to a handbook produced in cooperation with the
ITU-D sector, that would contain the following:
The inputs shall include any technical aspects as prepared by the relevant Study
- assistance with identifying appropriate protocols consistent with the existing
and new service requirements of telecom administrations/operators, for migration
from circuit switched networks to packet based networks in the evolutionary
phase towards NGN;
- the extent of interoperability for services possible between networks
employing different protocols; and
- generic guidelines covering aspects of testing.
- Prepare the technical inputs to the handbook, on the signalling requirements
and protocol aspects of packet-based networks to support PSTN/ISDN services.
Questions relating to control and signalling architectures and protocols
ITU-T Study Group(s) responsible for:
- operational aspects of service provisioning and network performance
- TMN aspects.
- principles, requirements, frameworks and architectures for an overall
heterogeneous network environment.
- multimedia architecture aspects.
- data networks and telecommunication software aspects.
- ITU-D Study Group 2.
Organizations such as: ASTAP (Asia-Pacific Telecommunity Standardization
Program), CITEL, ETSI and IETF.