(modified former Question 3/3)
This Question covers the work of the Regional Tariff Groups. Although they
are part of Study Group 3’s work program, these regional groups are free to
organize their own work and undertake studies appropriate to their region.
However, in doing so, some coordination may be beneficial in order to exchange
experience between regions, and to ensure that the results achieved by the
Regional Tariff Groups are consistent with the general approaches that are being
developed in Study Group 3.
With the recognition of the importance of aligning the basic components of
tariffs for international accounting purposes based on costs and on common
costing methodologies, Study Group 3 should continue to carry out studies on a
regional basis for the development of cost models.
In view of different environments in various regions, studies under Questions
1/3 and 2/3 on a global basis should be supplemented by studies on the regional
aspects of the issues concerned.
The regional Tariff Groups can make input into Study Group 3 of their
Regional studies for the development and application of cost models together
with related economic and policy issues.
The studies are to be carried out on a regional basis by the regional groups1
set up within Study Group 3 to deal with international tariff and accounting
- Study Group 3 Regional Group for Africa (SG3RG - AFR)
- Study Group 3 Regional Group for Latin America and the Caribbean (SG3RG - LAC)
- Study Group 3 Regional Group for Asia and Oceania (SG3RG - AO)
- Study Group 3 Regional Group for Europe and Mediterranean Basin (SG3RG - EURM)2
Results of the studies should be developed in the form of new or revised
D.300R to D.600R series Recommendations, as well as regional inputs (reports and
liaison statements) to the studies of Questions 1, 2 and 3/3, as appropriate. In
studying this Question, special explicit consideration should be given to the
needs of developing countries.
In this context, the following topics should be included, in addition of
course to the topics listed under Questions 1, 2, 3 and 4/3:
- Regional cost study and improvement of cost models
- Effect of new technologies in the specific region (Internet, IP based
network, IMT-2000, etc.)
- Effect of new policies and new operating procedures in the specific region
(carrier alliances, re-file, hubbing, least cost routing etc.)
Other topics may be studied as appropriate, based on contributions.
- Relevant ITU-T Study Groups
- ITU-D SG 1
- Regional Telecommunication Organisations
1 The creation of an Arab Group has been accepted in principle, leaving details of implementation and Membership to Study Group 3’s decision.
2 The SG3RG - EURM Group will meet when needs are identified.