(continuation of Q.1/4)
To make available suitable terms and definitions needed by personnel concerned
with numbering, naming, addressing and telecommunication management activities;
to reach a systematic categorization of management terms and definitions with
the aim to avoid repetitions and inconsistencies; to coordinate in certain
areas, a unified view of definitions and terms within Study Group 2, support
coordination of uniform terminology across other Study Groups, and support the
terminology mapping across the key Standards Developing Organizations (SDO),
Forums and Consortia. In keeping with World Telecommunication Standardization
Assembly (WTSA-08) Resolution 67 on the creation of a standardization committee
for vocabulary and noting that the long-term objective of the terminology work
is to prepare a comprehensive set of terms and definitions that covers the
responsibilities of Study Group 2 as defined by WTSA-08 Resolution 2, taking
into consideration that Study Group 2 is the lead study group for definitions.
- principles of service provision, definition and operational requirements of
- numbering, naming, addressing and identification requirements and resource
assignment including criteria and procedures for reservation, assignment and
- routing and interworking requirements;
- human factors;
- operational and management aspects of networks including network traffic
management designations, and transport-related operations procedures;
- operational aspects of interworking between traditional telecommunication
networks and evolving networks;
- evaluation of feedback from operators, manufacturing companies and users on
different aspects of network operation;
- management of telecommunication services, networks, and equipment via
management systems, including support for next-generation networks (NGN) and the
application and evolution of the telecommunications management network (TMN)
- ensuring the consistency of the format and structure of IdM identifiers; and
- specifying interfaces to management systems to support the communication of
identity information within or between organizational domains.
Study items to be considered include, but are not limited to:
What additions or changes, including updating, regarding terms and definitions
related to operational aspects of service provision and telecommunication
management activities required for Study Group 2 Recommendations are needed?
What terminology mappings related to operational aspects of service provision
and telecommunication management and OAM&B activities – within the scope of
Study Group 2 and its questions and other SDOs, Forums and Consortia are needed?
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- While the primary approach for specifying terms and definitions should be to
include them within related Recommendations and then reference them as needed
from other Recommendations, considerations may be given to other approaches to
benefit specific groups of users. In particular, the role of and the terms and
definitions in Recommendation M.60 need to be confirmed or amended as well as
the maintenance of numbering, naming, and addressing terms and definitions
contained, in particular, in Recommendation E.101.
- Alternative ways of categorizing all terms and definitions may be examined by
taking into account different criteria, e.g., ordering on a basis of services
and networks, or via a layering of the telecommunications infrastructure into
services, networks and management support.
- To support the above tasks, co-operate with JCA on Management.
Standardization bodies: ISO/IEC, 3GPP, 3GPP2, ATIS, DMTF, ETSI, IEEE, IETF, MEF,