(continuation of Q.11/4)
The telecommunications management network has established architecture and
interfaces for exchanging management information between network elements and
management systems and between management systems. The management applications
and interfaces are influenced by new transport technologies in wire line and
wireless networks. New technologies introduced in the access and core networks,
the convergence of voice, data and video services and introduction of control
plane in automatic switched optical networks (ASON) are all influencing factors.
The introduction of Next Generation Network (NGN) and associated technologies
and services imposes requirements on both the protocol and security capabilities
used in telecommunications management networks. Even more important are new
protocols and security technologies developed by the IT industry and applied in
the telecommunications sphere. Because the management of network security is
critical to telecommunications infrastructure, solutions should include
management of security functions.
Study items to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- What protocol and security standards developed by outside organizations,
particularly in the IT industry, are applicable for the work below?
- What security mechanisms and protocols are required to support security
of management for NGNs?
- What management mechanisms and protocols are required to support
management of security for NGNs?
- What protocol support and support services are required to exchange
management information adopting e-commerce based solutions as defined by tML
framework in Recommendation M.3030, following the requirements of Q7/4?
- What new management protocols are required to support management of new
classes of network elements, networks and services in a NGN?
- What use of Service-Oriented Architecture concepts should be applied in
specifying management protocol and security Recommendations?
- What collaboration inside and outside the ITU-T is required to develop
management protocol and security functions?
- What maintenance of existing Recommendations is required?
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Enhance M.3016 Series Recommendations and promote its adoption in SDOs
- Develop/enhance functional requirements for security management systems
- Extend Recommendations Q.811 and Q.812 for management protocol profiles
to support the management communications network requirements currently
defined in G.7712;
- In collaboration with other SDOs and forums, extend Recommendations
Q.811 and Q.812 to address management protocol requirements consistent with
tML to support XML-based web services;
- Maintain management interface protocol Recommendations, including X.710,
X.711, Q.811, Q.812, and Q.814;
- Maintain Security of Management and Management of Security
Recommendations, including the M.3016 Series, M.3210.1, Q.813, Q.815, and
Recommendations: G.7712, X.800
Study Groups: 15, 17
Standardization bodies: ETSI, IETF, TM Forum, ATIS, 3GPP, 3GPP2, OASIS, W3C