The January meeting of the Telecommunication Standardization Advisory Group (TSAG) has established a new Focus Group on Bridging the Gap: From Innovation to Standards (ItS). Standardization converts innovations into internationally-accessible tools to aid the growth of new markets and bridge the digital divide. The Focus Group will seek to reduce the lag between innovation and standardization; an action to ensure key innovations spread as fast as possible in the global ICT market.
Of particular importance to the group will be the identification of ICT innovation in the developing world, and the task of ensuring such innovation achieves international recognition through its inclusion in the standards produced by ITU-T.
The group will carry out the following specific actions:
- In cooperation with ITU-D, document case studies of successful examples of ICT innovations, including those that have emerged in developing countries, and identify relevant standardization gaps. Particular focus should be on the socio-economic impact of ICT innovation emerging in developing countries;
- Analyze the innovations that may be standardized and identify best practices facilitating the implementation of such innovations in other parts of the world;
- Identify case studies which developing countries can adopt to enhance their ICT innovation and standardization capabilities and associated socio-economic welfare;
- Identify the difficulties faced by developing countries in bringing their ICT innovation to ITU-T.
- Suggest future ITU-T study items and related actions;
- Examine how other Standards Development Organizations, forums and consortia address ICT innovation and its integration into standardization activities;
- Promote its activity at the World Telecommunication Standardization Assembly (WTSA) meeting in November 2012.