Background and justification
Transport network architecture Recommendations (G.803, G.805
G.872 and I.326) have been established and are widely used. As
operating experience is gained with employing current transport
network technologies and new technologies evolve (e.g. variable
size packets, high-speed transport networks, Automatic Switched
Optical Networks (ASON)), these Recommendations need to be
enhanced or new Recommendations need to be developed, in close
cooperation with the standardization activities on transport
network systems and equipment. Enhancements are also needed to the
requirements for the management capabilities of transport
networks. Moreover, requirements for new transport network
interfaces need to be studied.
This work is complementary to the activities in ITU-T SG 13 on
the more general, technology independent transport network
Items for study
1) Refinement and enhancement of the transport network
architectures in the existing Recommendations G.803, G.805,
G.872 and I.326.
2) Development of a new Recommendation (G.tni) to define
architectural aspects of transport network interfaces for
3) Development of a new Recommendation (G.ason) to define
architecture and requirements for Automatic Switched Optical
4) Definition of applications of Optical Transport Networks
including interconnection with other networks for the
completion of Recommendation G.873.
5) Definition of generic principles for AIS activation
across different transport networks and technologies.
6) The requirements and applications for new transport
network interfaces, e.g. sub-STM-1 interfaces, and virtual
concatenation of higher-order and lower-order containers.
7) Refinement and enhancement of the management
capabilities of networks in the existing Recommendation G.831.
8) Definition of principles of multiplexing and inverse
multiplexing in the OTN.
Tasks with deadlines
- Development of new Recommendations (G.tni and G.ason) by
- Enhancement of Recommendation G.872 by 2001
- Completion of Recommendation G.873 by 2001
- Further enhancement of Recommendations G.803, G.805, G.831
and I.326 by 2003
- Other relevant Recommendations to be determined.
- ITU-T Study Group 4 on TMN and network maintenance aspects
- ITU-T Study Group 13 on core network architectures and
- ITU-R study groups on mobile, radio and satellite systems