Background and justification
The widespread expansion of IP-based services, and the rapid change from
a circuit-based network infrastructure to one that is packet-based, have
created many performance and service quality issues. Within the ITU-T, the
many aspects of Quality-of-Service (QoS) being addressed are in need global
co-ordination. This Question is necessary to provide this co-ordination and
to assure consistency among the various ITU-T Study Groups, as well as from
other related bodies such as the IETF. This global co-ordination will be
conducted by Study Group 12 as the Lead Study Group on QoS.
The QoS co-ordination activities are focused on:
- Co-ordination of the studies carried out within ITU-T on QoS.
- Harmonisation among the various Recommendations and standards on QoS.
- Co-ordination of critical IP-related QoS issues across the industry,
in co-operation with bodies such as the IETF, as appropriate.
Specific tasks and deliverables
- Leading role for coordination of QoS-related activities in the ITU-T (ongoing).
- Coordination among various standards activities on QoS and collaboration with
other standards bodies (ongoing).
- Publish reports and make recommendations to TSAG and the TSB, as needed.
- ITU-T Study Groups with any activities related to QOS.
- Liaison with other organizations involved in QoS-related
activities, examples of which are the IETF, ATM Forum, ETSI, T1, etc.