BR and BDT jointly organized this seminar following the kind invitation and in close collaboration with the Ministry of Transport and Communication of the Republic of Armenia. The key objective was to consider the current status and possibility of establishing a new regional satellite system for the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) and Baltic States.
The programme of this seminar included 16 presentations on the following main topics:
The distinctive feature of this seminar was that apart from a consideration of theoretical, regulatory and economical aspects of development and use of regional satellite systems, considerable emphasis was placed on practical aspects of design, development and use of such a network for CIS and Baltic States.
- United Nations and ITU regulations concerning development and use of satellite radiocommunication systems
- "planned" and "non-planned" satellite networks (regulatory and technical aspects)
- new technologies and their use for design, development and operation of satellite radiocomminication systems (ITU-R Recommendations and other ITU-R publications)
- state and development of satellite services market
- technical and economical aspects of modern regional satellite networks
- current status and trends in development and production of hardware (satellites, launching vehicles, earth stations (including VSATs), etc.)
- use of "existing" satellite networks for regional purpose
- results of the World Telecommunication Development Conference 2006
The seminar was opened by Mr. Andranik MANUKYAN, the Minister of Transport and Communication of the Republic of Armenia who underlined, in his opening remarks, the importance of satellite systems for Armenia. The Chairmanships of the seminar was passed to Advisor of the Minister of Transport and Communication of Armenia Mr. Albert Nalbandian.
The event brought together some 58 participants representing 9 ITU Member States (Armenia, Byelorussia, Georgia, Kyrgyz Republic, Lithuania, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan), one regional telecommunication body (Regional Commonwealth in the Field of Communication - RCC), representatives of two development and research organizations (Radio Research and Development Institute (NIIR, Moscow, Russia) and ALCATEL Alenia Space(France)), representatives of one satellite operation agency (Russian Satellite Communication Company (RSCC)), two hardware production company (NPO PM (Zheleznogorsk, Russia) and ALCATEL Alenia Space), BR and BDT representatives.
The Ministry of Transport and Communication of the Republic of Armenia spared no effort to make the seminar memorable for all participants. Judging from the enthusiasm of the participants, the seminar was considered a success by all concerned. According to Mr. Vruyr ARAKELYAN (a Vice-Minister of Transport and Communications of Armenia) this seminar was a good starting point for serious and productive consideration of an expediency of development of a new regional satellite system in order to pursue joint efforts in dynamic development of telecommunication industry.
Participants of the seminar in particular have noted:
The following statement was also included in the seminar conclusion: "Participants expressed profound gratitude to Administration of the Republic of Armenia and the ITU for the excellent organization of the seminar."
- importance, timeliness and the benefit of this seminar
- high scientific and technical level and the practical importance of presentations
- that results of the studies by the corresponding ITU-R Study groups, and activities of the Radiocommunication Bureau created a real basis for realization of a regional satellite radiocommunication system