International Telecommunication Union   ITU
 
 
Site Map Contact us Print Version
 Thursday, December 19, 2013
As is happening in other areas of society, women already occupies a better posision among the people who are making online computer training. 67% of students are women, compared to 33 % of men, according to data from Internet Academi, the largest Spanish online training platform on Internet.

Currently, they are opting to form a majority (83% ) for short programs, one month, to meet specific needs and improve their qualifications. The other 17% select a deeper or masters programs, which takes six to 10 months. They prefer mainly four areas: Social Media, Browsers, Web Analytics and Community Management.

The "sketch" of women who are doing digital training, according to data from Internet Academi would be: Spanish, around thirty years old, with higher education and who holds a responsible position in the field of Consulting or Internet.

Age. 48% of the students are between 30 and 39 years old. Behind them, the age group between 20 and 29 accounts for 31 % of the total, and only 19 % are older than 40 years.
Studying. With higher education level, which, in many cases, represent a Postgraduate. These studies are primarily focused on advertising, marketing, computers or technology.
Vocational sector of origin. The students interested in the digital ecosystem work primarily in Consulting, Internet, Technology and Distribution. There is a small representation of the world of banking, insurance, textile, hospitality, advertising and marketing.
Working place. 85% of the students have a position of responsibility as Director or Area Coordinator Department according to Internet Academi. The number of administrative and employees represents 8 %.
Motivation. The three main reasons why women choose to be formed are: take the push that  Internet has in recent years to get a better job, increase their general knowledge to progress in their current job and complete their resume.
Preferred courses. The students are mainly inclined to courses related to social networks and the Community Management, search engine optimization , the user experience , analytics and metrics in Internet and mobility. Among women who are enrolled in a Master Program, the chosen discipline is the E -Commerce.

"The data show that women are joining en masse to the knowledge society and their role will grow soon to address the changes that will continue", explains Rodrigo Miranda, director of Internet Academi. "Being off the Internet is similar to being illiterate in the twentieth century, and the woman has understood perfectly. They want to take this area to improve their opportunities in a business world, which is still dominated mostly by men, and they are aware that the Internet is a much more egalitarian environment where the shortage of well-trained professionals opens opportunities where they will not find wage differences like in other sectors".

Rodrigo Miranda recalls that the Network has also broken the geographical barriers. "In the case of Internet Academi, although the vast majority of our students are Spanish, in the last two calls has significantly grown the number of people from America, especially from Mexico and Colombia, and even from Asia, reaching 25% of total".

(Source: Cibersur)