A 21st Century Media Strategy to Promote Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment Worldwide
Every era has a moment when the scales begin to tip. For the world’s women and girls, that moment is now. Women and Girls Lead Global combines the power of documentary film, national television broadcasts, local and new media, and engagement activities to impact audiences and support existing NGO efforts to empower women and girls.
- Three-year initiative launches in nine countries in Fall 2012.
- High-quality documentary films profile women and men who inspire hope, awareness, and action.
- Television partners in each country air annual 10-episode series to national audiences.
- Engagement campaigns align with existing local work of NGO and media partners.
- Local “call-to-action” content (PSAs, radio, mobile), live screenings, and social media connect individuals, mobilize communities, and multiply NGO impact.
- Builds on the work of Women and Girls Lead, a 50-documentary public television project to focus, educate, and connect U.S. audiences in support of women and girls everywhere.
Women and Girls Lead Global is a public-private alliance created between USAID, Independent Television Service (ITVS), and Ford Foundation, in cooperation with lead NGO partner CARE.
Download the Women and Girls Lead Global fact sheet
Read the Impact Blog post "The Power of Storytelling
" by CARE's CEO and President, Dr. Helene Gayle.
Visit the Women and Girls Lead Global website
and Women and Girls Lead Global website