As part of the PacINET 2006 Conference in Apia, Samoa, PICISOC will be running a Wireless Broadband for Schools Project.
The broad objective of the project is to provide a pod of computers and broadband Wi-Fi Internet access to two remote schools in the northwest corner of the island of Upolu, Samoa. The project will train Teachers/Students in the schools on how to use the computers and provide ongoing technical support.
The feasibility of Wi-Fi over water will also be trialled by connecting the island of Manono to the Internet.
The project will be supported by a consortium of Donors, Businesses and Voluntary Organisations from the region. The various partners in the Project will provide initial funding and voluntary labour, and ongoing operational funding will be subsidised by commercial users using part of the service.
PICISOC Members attending the PacINET conference are invited to participate in the Project and gain first hand experience at installing broadband Wi-Fi networks as well as doing their bit for the local community.
This Project is possible through the kind contributions of the following consortium partners:
- PICISOC ..........Project Host
- 2020 Trust ..........Project Organisation
- GKP ..........Project Funding
- CSL ..........Project Technical Support and Logistics
- Rural Link ..........Wi-Fi Equipment and Expertise
- PATARA ..........Network Equipment
- Samoa IT Society ..........Training and Support