Voice over IP telephony services are reshaping the fixed-line telecom market in Europe. By mid-year 2008, just under 30 million consumer VoIP lines were in service in Western Europe, up from 20 million only a year earlier. While the aggregate pace of growth across Europe remains rapid, trends vary dramatically by country.
- Market penetration at at mid-year 2008 ranged from slightly less than 50% of households in France to less than 3% in Spain.
- Growth rates ranged from an anemic 13% in Norway to 544% in Portugal.
- Incumbents lead the VoIP market in France, Italy, the U.K., the Netherlands and Norway, but competitive operators hold the lead in most other markets.
- Prices of triple-play bundles of broadband, VoIP, and video services range from €30 to more than €80 per month.
VoIP Penetration of Households, Q2 2007 & Q2 2008
TeleGeography’s European VoIP & Triple Play Research Service brings clarity to the state of this dynamic market. Contents include:
- VoIP subscriber, revenue and traffic data by country from 2004 to 2008.
- Subscriber and revenue projections by country through 2012.
- Rankings of Europe’s leading VoIP service providers.
- Detailed analysis of the VoIP markets in 13 European nations.
- Profiles of 72 leading consumer VoIP providers.
- Broadband and VoIP pricing summaries in 13 European nations.
All data are updated twice annually, and are current through mid-year 2008. Bi-annual updates, delivered in PDF and Excel spreadsheets, include country subscriber totals, provider rankings, VoIP projections by country and baseline market indicators by country.