International Telecommunication Union   ITU
 
 
Site Map Contact us Print Version
 Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Jordan’s Telecommunicaton Regulatory Commission (TRC) has announced that it will negotiate directly with the country’s mobile operators in a move to get 3G services launched by the end of this year, reports CommsMEA. The decision comes after last month’s 3G tender failed to produce a winning bid. Cellcos said at the time that the reserve price of JOD50 million (USD70 million), together with 15 annual licence fee payments of approximately JOD2.5 million, made for an unsustainable business case in a market like Jordan. The TRC had hoped to attract investors from Jordan and overseas when the delayed process began in March, but the only bidder, Orange Jordan, had its offer rejected because it did not comply with the terms and conditions of the bid. A spokeswoman for the TRC said Orange Jordan did not submit the required financial bond of JOD10 million. The bid also contained additional conditions which related to mobile spectrum and the ten month 3G exclusivity period, which Orange Jordan did not want to begin from the date the licence was awarded.

Click here to see full article

Source: Telegeography

3G