International Telecommunication Union   ITU
 
 
Site Map Contact us Print Version
 Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Mozambican government is reported to be planning a partial privatization of the state owned mobile network operator Moçambique Celular (mCel) the Mozambican Minister for Transport and Communications, Paulo Zucula told the local O País newspaper.

The initial sale will be for just a five percent stake, which will be offered to Mozambicans. Later sales may be opened up to overseas investors, said Zucula.

The government had planned a partial sale last year, although this was cancelled due to "organizational difficulties"

According to figures from the Mobile World analysts, the country ended last year with a shade under 5 million subscribers, representing a population penetration level of 24.3%. mCel is the dominant operator, with a market share of 71% - compared to 29% for rival, Vodacom.

A third mobile licenses is expected to be offered later this year, and Portugal Telecom has already expressed an interest in bidding.

Source: Cellular News.