International Telecommunication Union   ITU
 
 
Site Map Contact us Print Version
 Monday, September 28, 2009
The number of fixed broadband connections in Chile grew by 10.4 percent in the first half of 2009, compared to the year-earlier period.
 
Chile had 1.6 million broadband lines at end June, up from 1.46 million in December 2008, according to the Cisco Broadband Barometer. The growth was mainly due to new internet service offerings targeting the lower socio-economic segment, as well as new prepaid service packages and low cost offers. Broadband penetration in Chile is the highest among Latin American countries, at 9.7 percent. The residential market continues to lead, with 85 percent of the overall fixed broadband connections in Chile concentrated in this segment, while the remaining 15 percent are corporate customer lines. Around 31 percent of Chilean households have broadband connections. Nearly 70 percent of the total broadband internet subscribers use speeds of over 512 Kbps or higher.
 
The number of residential mobile broadband subscribers grew by 70 percent over this year's first half, to 395,000 mobile internet users at the end of June. Around 74 percent of the mobile broadband internet connections belong to individual users.
 
Source: Telecompaper