International Telecommunication Union   ITU
 
 
Site Map Contact us Print Version
 Monday, October 17, 2011

­The Indian government has launched a new low-cost Android based tablet device that will be distributed to schools in the country.

The device will cost the government US$49.98, but will then be subsidised to US$35 per unit.

This current phase was a pilot to procure 100,000 devices. These devices are now being distributed to students all over the country so that they can be extensively tested in various climatic and usage conditions. The feedback obtained from the testing will form an input into the design of the next version of the device.

The Aakash UbiSlate 7 Tablet comes with a 366 Mhz processor and 256MB of RAM along with a 2GB Flash Memory. The screen is a 7-inch display with 800x480 pixel resolution and connectivity is Wi-Fi only. The OS is Android version 2.2.

Source: Cellular News

Monday, October 17, 2011 7:57:41 AM (W. Europe Standard Time, UTC+01:00)  #     | 
 Thursday, November 11, 2010
The New Zealand government will cover the costs associated with providing the physical fibre from the street to school buildings, enabling schools to connect to the upcoming Ultra-Fast Broadband network. Previously, schools connecting to fibre have been required to contribute to this "fibre drop" cost, which in some cases has amounted to thousands of dollars. The government is committed to rolling out Ultra-Fast Broadband to 97 percent of schools within six years - negotiations with partners are underway currently. The remaining 3 percent of schools will be covered by the Remote Schools Broadband Initiative and will receive faster broadband (10 Mbps or more) via point to point wireless or satellite technology.
 
Source: TelecomPaper


Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:01:52 PM (W. Europe Standard Time, UTC+01:00)  #     | 
 Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Argentinean president Cristina Fernandez announced the delivery of three million netbooks to middle school students, as part of an overall investment of ARS 4 million. Dubbed 'Conectar Igualdad.com.ar', the program aims to narrow the digital breach and equip schools across Argentina with computers and internet connections. The project is financed by the Argentine National Administration of Social Security (ANSES).

Source: Telecom Paper.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 7:09:15 AM (W. Europe Standard Time, UTC+01:00)  #     | 
 Tuesday, August 25, 2009

BNamericas reports that Ecuador's telecoms watchdog Senatel aims to end 2010 with 9,000 schools connected to the internet via broadband networks under a national scheme, compared to 1,900 today, with 4,000 of the new connections to be made this year. A further 11,000 schools are to be covered by other public-funded social programmes, universal access fund Fodetel told BNamericas, adding that state-run telco Corporacion Nacional de Telecomunicaciones (CNT) is currently handling all rollouts, and as yet there had been no plans announced to open up tenders to private sector broadband operators. The news site wrote that telecoms regulator Conatel lists ongoing projects to connect 759 schools at a cost of USD4.56 million, or an average of USD6,000 per school.

Source: Telegeography

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:54:36 AM (W. Europe Standard Time, UTC+01:00)  #     | 
 Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Vietnamese military-owned telco Viettel has completed the installation of a broadband network connecting over one thousand educational institutions in Ho Chi Minh City, writes VietNamNet Bridge. Deployment of the network began in November 2008 with the aim of supporting teaching, studying, scientific research and management in colleges, universities and schools across the city. The operator has provided schools with free modems and has also installed and connected the broadband network at no charge in all schools, while colleges and universities will receive a 70% discount on monthly internet charges. The network forms part of a broader project between Viettel and the Ministry of Education and Training to link around 40,000 educational institutions nationwide.

Source: TeleGeography.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:12:55 AM (W. Europe Standard Time, UTC+01:00)  #     | 
 Thursday, June 04, 2009

BNamericas writes that Ecuador's telecoms council Conatel is aiming to install internet connections in around 4,600 schools by the end of this year, giving web access to about 2.5 million children. The project is being funded by universal service payments from telecoms operators, and fellow regulatory body Senatel reaffirmed its commitment to connect 100% of schools to the internet by the end of 2010.

Source: TeleGeography.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 8:59:18 AM (W. Europe Standard Time, UTC+01:00)  #     |