International Telecommunication Union   ITU
 
 
Site Map Contact us Print Version
 Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Brazil ended February 2011 with over 207.5 million mobile phone subscribers, according to data released by Anatel. Prepaid phones accounted for 82.23 percent (170.7 million), while the remaining 17.77 percent were postpaid (36.9 million). Last month, 17 Brazilian states surpassed the mark of more than one mobile phone per capita. In February, the national mobile penetration rate stood at 106.91. The net addition of 2.43 million new phones in February represented a growth of 1.18 percent compared to January. Totalling January and February figures, there were 4.6 million new additions in 2011, a growth of 2.28 percent compared to 2010. Also last month, mobile broadband terminals (3G) totaled 23.5 million, up 14.34 percent year-on- year. The market shares of Brazilian mobile operators Vivo, Claro and Oi dropped in February year-on-year, while TIM Brasil advanced, according to Anatel. Vivo ended the month with a 29.55 percent share of the mobile market, equivalent to 61.34 million accesses. A year earlier, its share was 29.93 percent while in January it was 29.65 percent. TIM ended February with a share of 25.16 percent, while Claro had 25.47 percent. A year ago, TIM had a 23.65 percent share and Claro 25.50 percent. Fourth in the ranking, Oi saw its share shrink from 20.56 percent in February 2010 to 19.47 percent last month.


Source: Telecom Paper