The potential market for broadband connections of at least 50Mbps is 900,000 households in the Netherlands, according to a report from Telecompaper.
The consumer survey, conducted in August, shows that 900,000 households would like to have at least 50Mbps download within four years. The report 'Dutch Consumer Connected Q3 2009' was released to coincide with the FTTH Netherlands conference sponsored by Telecompaper. The survey found DSL is currently the most used technology with 49 percent of the market, followed by cable with 40 percent, fibre-optics with 4 percent and other technologies at 6 percent. Around 5 percent of respondents said they still use a dial-up connection. Asked about the most important element of a broadband connection, 55 percent said price, while 37 percent appreciate the possibility of a dual-play plan of internet and telephony. Over a quarter (26%) said that a download speed of at least 50Mbps is also important, while 8 percent want a minimum upload of 8Mbps.
Click here to see full article
Over half the respondents (51%) said they don't know whether they will need a connection of at least 50Mbps, while 31 percent said no and 15 percent answered yes. Looking at how long they will wait for such a connection, the figures suggest that around 460,000 households would like at least 50Mbps within 12 months and 730,000 within 24 months. The total group, representative of 900,000 homes, expects to have such a connection within four years. A majority (58%) said they don't know what kind of network technology they will use with the fast connection. Of the remaining respondents, 42 percent expect to use cable, and the same percentage said fibre-optics. The categories DSL, wireless and other took 5 percent. Fibre has more preference among men, high incomes and DSL users than by women, low income groups and cable subscribers.