International Telecommunication Union   ITU
 
 
Site Map Contact us Print Version
 Monday, January 24, 2011

Airtel Kenya, the country's second largest cellco by subscribers, has announced that it has added two million subscribers to its network since August 2010, effectively doubling its active subscriber base. The mobile operator credits the latest customer additions to the reduced tariffs that it introduced in August. As previously reported in CommsUpdate, in August 2010, the cellco, then known as Zain Kenya, cut end-user call charges from KES6 to KES3 across all networks for both pre-paid and post-paid customers. CEO Rene Meza told a press conference: 'With the drop in tariffs, we have seen an increase in volumes, both in users and in minutes'. Meza added that the average monthly minutes of use (MoU) had tripled since August.

Going forward, Meza announced that the cellco is poised to launch its long-awaited 3G network in March 2011, following a KES25 billion (USD296 million) rollout. 'The beginning of our data journey will start towards the end of this quarter', Meza said, adding that the operator also intends to double the number of 2G bases stations currently deployed across Kenya.

Source: TeleGeography