Leaders from the leading national and regional telecommunications and radio standards organizations and a delegation from ITU consisting of both high-level secretariat staff and Study Group chairs met 28 August - 2 September, at The Tenth Global Standards Collaboration meeting (GSC-10).
The mission of the GSC is to exchange information between participating standards organizations to facilitate collaboration and to support the process of global telecommunication standardization in the ITU. The event was hosted by ETSI in Sophia Antipolis, France.
Participants at GSC-10 included the Australian Communications Industry Forum (ACIF), Association of Radio Industries and Businesses (ARIB) of Japan, the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS) and Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) from the US, the China Communications Standards Association (CCSA), the Telecommunication Technology Committee (TTC) of Japan, the Telecommunications Technology Association (TTA) of Korea, the ICT Standards Advisory Council of Canada (ISACC), and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
Guests and observers included representatives from the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), the Asia Pacific Telecommunity (APT), the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) and the Sector Board 4 of International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).
Specific resolutions on the following topics were agreed at the meeting:
- Next-Generation Networks
- Mapping Standards for "Systems Beyond IMT 2000"
- Home Networking
- Emergency Communications
- Broadband Services in Rural and Remote Areas
- Open Standards
- Facilitating Liaison in relation to Measurement Methodologies for Assessing Human Exposure to RF Energy
- Wireless access including RLANs, Ad-Hoc Networking and Broadband Wireless Access
- Supporting Automotive Crash Notification ("ACN") by Public Wireless Communications Networks
- Radio Microphones and Cordless Audio Devices
- RFID Systems, Services and Networking
- Public Protection & Disaster Relief
- Ultra Wide Band
- Intellectual Property Rights Policies
- User Interest Working Group
Other areas discussed were:
- Location-based Services
- Internet Protocol over Wireless
- Software defined radio & Cognitive radio
- Digital Broadcasting including mobile multimedia applications
- Satellite services
ITU maintains a repository of documents relating to this and all past GSC meetings.
Via the ITU-T Newslog.