On 20 June 2006 Singapore launched a new ten-year infocomm masterplan that will propel the nation into 2015 and beyond, with a line-up of activities and goals that spell benefits for the people, businesses and the global community. The vision is to turn the country into an Intelligent Nation and Global City, Powered by infocomm. The masterplan recommends the way forward for Singapore, into a future where infocomm will bring a sea change and become intrinsic in the way people live, learn, work and play.
The masterplan sets bold targets for 2015:
- Singapore to be No. 1 in the world in harnessing infocomm to add value to the economy and society
- Achieve a two-fold increase in value-added1 of the infocomm industry to S$26 billion
- See a three-fold increase in infocomm export revenue to S$60 billion
- Create 80,000 additional jobs2
- Have at least 90 per cent of homes using broadband
- Ensure 100 per cent computer ownership for all homes with school-going children
Further information on the masterplan is available here.