International Telecommunication Union   ITU
 
 
Site Map Contact us Print Version
 Tuesday, September 21, 2010

In UK, ISPs must pay 25 per cent of the cost of implementing new anti-piracy measures, it has been announced. The process of identifying and informing broadband customers suspected of copyright infringement will be paid for partially by ISPs and copyright holders, who will pay the other 75 per cent.

The decision comes as the government attempts to thrash out the details of how some parts of the controversial Digital Economy Act will actually work in practice. Minister for Communications, Ed Vaizey, said: "Protecting our valuable creative industries, which have already suffered significant losses as a result of people sharing digital content without paying for it, is at the heart of these measures. "The Digital Economy Act serves to reduce online copyright infringement through a fair and robust process and at the same time provides breathing space to develop better business models for consumers who buy music, films and books online.

 

(Source: Webuser)

Full story

Webuser