Biography of Amer AL RAWAS
Chief Executive Officer
Dr. Rawas is the Chief Executive Officer of Oman Telecommunications Company (Omantel). Prior to his current post, he served as the Managing Director â€“ Oman Mobile.
Dr. Rawas holds a PhD in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence from the Sussex University, UK, 1997. In the academic field prior to his joining the Telecom Sector, Dr. Rawas served in various academic and leadership positions at the Sultan Qaboos University (SQU). His last assignment was the Dean of Educational Services.
Dr. Rawas is still serving in various educational and technological policy forums in the Sultanate and regionally, these include:
- Member of the Higher Education Council;
- Member of the National Accreditation Council;
- Member of the Board of Governors for the Higher Technology Colleges;
- Member of the Board and Treasure of the Sultan Qaboos Cultural Center in Washington, DC, United States.
Dr. Rawasâ€™s previous appointments, memberships and achievements include:
- Won the NTI BizPro Business Leader of the Year Award in 2008.
- Invited as an honorary guest to the 3rd Meeting of the Nobel Laureate of Economic Sciences that took place in Germany, August 2008.
- Member of International Institute of Strategic Studies.
- Invited as a Visiting Scholar at the Software Research Lab at NASA (USA) 1995-1997.
- Won the re-diffusion Simulation Ltd Prize for the best Software Engineering Graduation Project in UK in 1990.