Connection to the printer can be done in
the cybercafé via the network (wired/wireless)
Wired Ethernet LAN
A number of Ethernet connections (RJ45) 10/100 Mbps are
provided in the cybercafé to connect laptops to the
Access to the Internet and RPM-ARB documents is available
through Wireless IEEE 802.11b/g in the entire conference
To make the most efficient use of network resources, we
strongly recommend the following:
- Ensure that your user account has administrative
privileges. Should you require help onsite, the Event
Service Desk staff will only be able to help you if you
have administrative rights on your laptop
- Refrain from using peer-to-peer connections.
Please note that the installation and use of non-ITU
wireless access points without prior authorization from the
Event organizers is prohibited.
Useful reminders for laptops
Wireless LAN configuration parameters
The following parameters should be set in order to
connect to the ITU wireless network:
- Set the case-sensitive SSID as “ITUdelg”.
- Set Operation mode to “Infrastructure” (not Ad-Hoc
or peer-to-peer). The Ad-Hoc mode creates a lot of
confusion not only for you but also for other
Notes on using wireless connections
- Wireless network connections are good for web
browsing but fair for FTP downloads or for telnet
- Before taking out your wireless card (or any other
PC card from its slot), you should first properly stop
it, or risk re-installation of the operating system.
- Wireless cards can drain considerable power from
your laptop – so recharge your laptop frequently.
Network Connection settings
- Enable DHCP so that your laptop will obtain the IP
address and other network parameters automatically
Please be aware that delegate network communication can
be intercepted, end-to-end encryption is recommended for
If you are concerned about computer security, please use
personal firewall software.
Firewall software configurations may prevent access to
local resources (e.g. printers).
All wireless users must have a good anti-virus program
that has up-to-date virus database. Viruses can easily
spread in the wireless network. You will also need a few
spyware detection programs such as Ad-Aware.
- Ensure that your Internet browser’s proxy setting is
- Disable any SOCKS configurations