Document Submission Procedures
for E-discussion forum forQ10-1/2
"Communications for rural and remote areas"
10 October 2005
E-discussion forum for Question 10-1/2 on the topics as defined by ITU-D Doc. 2/283 Rev1
has been approved by the ITU-D SG2 meeting in September 2005 and will be conducted by
the support of the focal point for Question 10-1/2, i.e. the BDT Secretariat E-strategies
Unit-IsAP Programme 3. It will continue until the next WTDC-06.
E-discussion forum will be mainly conducted via internet on the weblog page of ITU-D
website. To participate in the e-discussion forum, it is requested to register and submit their
names, e-mai address, etc. to the e-strategy unit of the ITU BDT by the application form as
attached. E-discussion forum is conducted by the following registered participants withthe
roles as defined below;facilitators, authors, general participants and the administrator.The
method of conducting the e-discussion and contact information for inquiries and posting
inputs are also given below.
Topic 1: Community Development
Topic 2: Developing Support for Small Businesses
Topic 3: Rural technology for Social infrastructure-
Topic 4: Emergency Support & Disaster Mitigation
Topic 5: Sustainability/Reliability/Effectiveness
Topic 6: Environmental Monitoring / Protection
Topic 7: Economical Viability
Topic 8: Any Other Comment
- Leads the discussion by contributing periodic entries(inputs) on his Topic and posting them
on the forum site.
- Checks comments given by participants on his/her entry.
- Reviews the documents contributed by Authors and post them on the forum site.
- Reviews and authorizes the documents contributed by Participants. Post the authorized
documents on the forum site.
- produces the final report on the topic of his/her responsibility as output of the
- Coordinate with Administrator and members for the topic of his/her responsibility
- Actively join the discussions by contributing entries. Authors are authorized to post the
entries, by sending them to the facilitator for the topic.
- Participants are registered members of the E-discussion forum for each topic. They need to represent ITU-D members.
- Facilitators and Authors are also participants.
- Participants read the entries for each topic and make comments and send them to the facilitators concerned or may post them directly on the forum page concerned. Participant may, if so wishes, also contribute a full input by sending his document to the topic Facilitator for his review, approval and posting as an entry.
- Coordinate the activities with Facilitators, ITU BDT E-strategies Unit and Rapporteur, for
smooth running of the E-discussion forum, including the maintenance of weblog software.
6 Method of posting entries(Inputs)
At the start, we will use the method (1), a manual method, which is the easiest for Facilitator.
Other methods could be used as options to choose by Facilitator, when they are available
without problems.(at this moment they are being tested)
Alternative 1) Posting by Administrator
- Facilitator simply sends the document by e-mail to Administrator at:
- The document should contain at the end, the writer's name and the document
category(ies); it will be used to classify the document by Administrator
Alternative 2) Direct posting by Facilitator
- Facilitator accesses the weblog software and log in for posting the document.
- Facilitator will be given the log-in name and password.
7 Access to the site
To access the e-discussion weblog site, log in at either of the following URLs from your
8 Topic Categories
All the entries(inputs) are classified into categories: topic1 to topic8. There is a category
"notices" for administrative entries.
Category "Q10" is the general category, which is related from topic1 to topic8.
To see only the entries on a particular topic, click that topic on the right hand side.
9 To return to home page(HP)
To go back to the home page, click the title "ITU-D Study Group 2 Question 10".
10 Making comments online
Click "comment" under each entry, then type in your name, e-mail address and your
comment on the entry.
Then type in the 5-letter code displayed at the left end, and click the submit button.
(note: at this moment, when click the submit button, some error message appears.
Disregard it and click return button of the browser and continue. Your comment has been
11 Submitting your entry to facilitator
By the permission and possible editing by the facilitator, you could put your observation or
opinion as an entry. Please send your document by e-mail to the topic facilitator. The list of
facilitators is on the forum site with category = notice.
For registration form, click here.